Friday, March 9, 2007

Adsense Invalid Clicks

Have you ever received this kind of message?

Hello XXXXXXXXX,

It has come to our attention that invalid clicks have been generated on the Google ads on your site(s). In the future, we may adjust your payment for any days during which invalid clicks occurred in order to properly credit advertisers for any invalid activity.

As a reminder, any method of generating invalid clicks is strictly prohibited. Invalid clicks include but are not limited to any clicks that are generated through the use of robots, automated clicking tools, manual clicks by a publisher on the publisher's own web pages, or a publisher encouraging others to click on his ads.

I just did yesterday and said to myself "WHOA, How did that happened!?" Searched the internet for ways in making illegal clicks and could not find anything similar to mine. I didn't intentionally click on my ads, did not encourage my friends to click on my ads, did not put anything on my blog to plead people click on my ads. Did not do anything. Done none of these;

  • May not encourage users to click the Google ads by using phrases such as "click the ads," "support us," "visit these links," or other similar language
  • May not direct user attention to the ads via arrows or other graphical gimmicks
  • May not place misleading images alongside individual ads
  • May not promote sites displaying ads through unsolicited mass emails or unwanted advertisements on third-party websites
  • May not compensate users for viewing ads or performing searches, or promise compensation to a third party for such behavior
  • May not place misleading labels above Google ad units - for instance, ads may be labeled "Sponsored Links" but not "Favorite Sites"

But then....

Apparently, it was my fault, I bungled Big Time. Here's how...

I made Adsense generate a google search code with three radio buttons, one for the web, one for this blog site and one for our corporate website. When the code was generated, i pasted it on my computer's default web page, so whenever anybody from our intranet typed in my computers name in their web browser this will appear....

I asked one of my colleague to test it on his machine by searching for bid documents on our corporate site. He typed in BID on the google search box and clicked on the third radio button and pressed search. Here's what appeared on his computer (sorry if it's kinda squiggly, click on it to get a better picture)...

The result is much quicker than when manually searching on our corporate web page.

Then I got the dreaded Illegal Click Email. So what gives... Here's what's wrong. Although my colleague searched on his own machine, we are in a corporate intranet which is connected to the internet with only one IP Address. All 250 machines in our office has only one IP Address on the Web, we all share that IP address!

There's my bungling dumb error. Don't do what I did, O.K.?

I've already appologized to the Adsense Team.

No comments: