Thursday, June 7, 2007

Money Versus Loving Your Job

Yesterday, I was called by Tita Cora telling me that I have to go to the Finance Office at 2:30 P.M. Got a job interview. I was there at the precise time, but the committee has not yet congregated. So I went out and smoked. I was called into the room at about 3:15 P.M. So what happened between those times, that 45 minutes? of waiting.

This

Smoked three cigarrettes... and contemplated.

I opened Aptana and jEdit on my mind. Did some programming concept. First made a Case..If, then an If...Then...Else Statement and reduced it into a Boolean function. Yes|No, True|False. Then subjected it to this

"Of the things I think, say or do:

  1. Is it the TRUTH?

  2. Is it FAIR to all concerned?

  3. Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?

  4. Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?" (thanks Rotary)

I applied for that particular job because it command a higher payrate. Got kid whose in her 3rd Year Nursing study. One on his first year High School and another whose on his first year as an Elementary student. Im also paying a lot of debt and renting a store. JL 10 @ Php 27,082.00 versus Php 22,808.00 at my present level. That's about four thousand pesos more, right? It will surely help a lot.

However, will I be doing the new job with gusto? Will I enjoy it? Will it open new opportunities to explore what little I have of my remaining functional neurons? Will I still do programming? Could I still tinker inside my ear and smell my finger while picking my nose with another finger whenever I encounter glitches on my work? Will I still dream up solutions and come up running naked just to get a pen and a paper to jot em down in the middle of the night? Or will I be another case of the Living Dead?

Further, I've asked myself, 'compare your duties and responsibilities now to that other job' wad yu git? Still remember your

“Bang for the Bucks (BABU)” thing? Are you losing it? Oti, do stare at the picture below again and maybe you could make a reasonable judgement. What about your vision?












So I thought about it. Turned the sunny-side down and up, up and down. Made a veto here and there. My vision...

To make CDC compliant to world standards in regards to the subjects: Records Management System, Enterprise Content Management, Business Process System and whatever system in and between them. Sarbanes-Oxley, HIPAA, ISO 15489, ISO 9000 and its subset, am gonna spearhead CDC to be compliant with those including Republic Act 8792. That's the vision.

My mission... to fulfill that vision.

And at present I have a lot of projects that are left unfinished. Other projects on my mind includes data capture and a more efficient way to capture images and store them redundantly which will be available about 75 years when CDC cease to exist.

And I am REALLY enjoying my work .

Boolean: Should I stay or should I go? javascript that! {nan value}

I'll stay at RMO.

(that's what happened on those glorious 45 minutes of smoking three glorious carcinogenic cigarettes)

And so I was called. Before any question were fired unto me by the panel I said.

"Before anything else, I don't want to make this interview too long, because I concede. "

"I'll be honest, I've applied because of money, but I think that It will be better for me to stay at RMO because I feel that the office needs me more in there than this department. And I could do a lot more there. There's this paradigm shift on information management, and that all it do: shift, shift and shift. It is now not keeping records, but making it available on the fly. I want to be there." or to that effect. But they got the message.

Sir Noel said, "thanks for your honesty oti, and I admire your decision".

Then I thought to myself "SHAZAM!!" and quickly vanished.

I'll try my luck on another position at RMO. My Homecourt, and I got this homecourt advantage.

...or do I?....

again,

"Of the things we think, say or do:

  1. Is it the TRUTH?

  2. Is it FAIR to all concerned?

  3. Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?

  4. Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

hope that the next interview panel exercise em.

hope or hopya?

oti

No comments: